View this video on Youtube (Opens in new window).
This video will guide you through the steps to Install a custom recovery on to a Moto G 1st Gen, root your device and install Android 6.0 Marshmallow (Cyanogenmod 13) onto your phone.
Part 1 – How To Unlock the Bootloader
***WARNING*** BY PERFORMING THE STEPS IN THIS TUTORIAL YOU ARE VOIDING YOUR DEVICES WARRANTY. YOU ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE. I DO NOT. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
You must have downloaded the Android SDK and Motorola USB drivers first
See previous video for details: https://youtu.be/flZWkjEJUhk
This video guides you through the steps to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow onto the international Motorola Moto G 1st Gen (2013).
Step 1. Install a custom recovery
TWRP Recovery image
(Download the latest image)
Install custom recovery and root:
1) Turn off phone and boot into fastboot holding volume down + Power together
2) Connect phone to PC with USB
3) Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools within file explorer and open a command prompt (Shift + right click – Open command window here)
4) Type the following command fastboot flash recovery “recoveryimage”.img replacing “recoveryimage with the file name of the recovery you downloaded (don’t leave any quotes).
5) Open the recovery from within fastboot (volume down to highlight, volume up to select).
1) You will be prompted to root your device if you try to reboot your device from the recovery for the first time. Do so:
2)The phone will reboot normally after a minute or so. Navigate to the Super User App, you will be prompted to update, do so via Google Play.
3) Open super user again the app will finish rooting and reboot your device into recovery.
4) Once finished reboot your device normally. Your phone is now fully rooted.
Install Android 6.0 rom and Google Apps:
1) With phone booted normaily connect to computer via USB.
2) Download ROM and GAPPS file and transfer them to the root of your phones storage.
3) Disconnect phone from USB and turn off.
4) boot phone into bootloader (hold volume down and power buttons)
5) Enter recovery (volume down to highlight recovery, volume up to select).
6) Go to ” Wipe” then “Advanced Wipe” and check “Data and Dalvik” and slide to wipe. If you encounter problems after installing ROM then wipe ‘Data, Cache, Dalvik and System partitions.”
7) Touch install.
8) Scroll down and select the ROM file and swipe to install.
9) Once done tap install and do the same with the GAPPS file.
10) Reboot phone (First boot can take a long time so be patient).